This is an excellent cake. It is light and fairy-like
80ml cocoa powder
60ml boiling water
250ml castor sugar
12,5ml baking powder
5 egg yolks
15ml vanilla essence
7 Egg whites – at room temperature
2ml cream of tartar
125 ml sugar
Preheat oven to 160*C. 25cm high tube tin.
– Mix cocoa, sugar and water. Allow to cool
– Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add oil, water, yolks and vanilla essence. Beat until smooth with a wooden spoon and set aside.
– Beat egg whites until frothy.
– Beat in the cream of tartar and sugar.
– Beat egg whites until stiff.
– Slowly pour the egg yolk mixture over the whites and fold together.
– Pour half the batter into another bowl and fold in the cocoa mixture. Immediately pour cocoa and vanilla mixtures into the tube tin in alternate layers.
– Cut through batter with a knife – circular motion lifting to remove air bubbles and give a marbled effect.
– Bake for 55min. Then bake at 180*C for 10-15min or until inserted skewer comes out clean and cake surface springs back when lightly touched.
– Leave for 20-30min in the tin and then invert in the tin on a wire rack to cool
– Remove cake by gently easing out using a knife around the edges
– Decorate as desired.