250ml cake flour
5ml baking powder
4 extra-large eggs
15ml lemon juice or 15ml orange juice
whipped cream to fill swiss roll
Preheat oven to 200*C. Line a swiss roll baking tin with greaseproof paper and spray and cook the greaseproof paper.
– Sift flour, baking powder, salt three times.
– Whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl until light and creamy. It must be very thick.
– Add water and vanilla essence and fold in dry ingredients with a metal spoon or spatula.
– Pour into tin and bake for 12-15min
– Have a damp tea cloth ready sprinkled with castor sugar. Immediately turn swiss roll onto tea towel. Trim edges and roll.
– Allow to cool completely
– Unroll swiss roll and spread with whipped cream.
– Decorate as desired
Note: Never overbake a swiss roll as this results in cracking during rolling. Speed is essential to get an unbroken and evenly rolled cake.