Ramadaan is a month of countless blessings and virtues. The word Ramadaan is derived from “ramdh’ which means “burning of the feet from heat” This is because of the fast, which burns the sins of a Muslim into ashes.
Ramadaan has been given the name of blessed month because:
1. In this month, the whole Qur’aan was sent down to the first sky from Lawhe Mahfooz.
2. In this month, there is the night of Qadr which is better than 1000 months.
3. In this month, the thawaab of good deed is equal to the fardh of another month.
4. This is the month of patience and the reward of this patience is Jannah.
5. This month teaches the lesson of kindness towards others.
6. In this month, the daily bread of Muslims is increased.
7. In this month, the first ten days are of mercy, second ten days are of forgiveness and the last ten days are of being freed from Hell.
8. The month of Ramadaan is a month in which the Mercy and Blessings of Allah Ta’aala descend upon us continuously.
This month is so precious that one should fast, recite Qur’aan and keep himself engaged in worship (Ibaadah) day night. One should perform Taraweeg, Nafl Salaah, make du’aa, etc. In this way, by giving preference to religion over self-desires, a person can acquire the Pleasure and Nearness of Allah. Each day and night of this blessed month can bring the reward of Ibaadah of years.